From: "Jack Campin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] About the choice of '!'
> > Having read the discussion about bang & co for quite a while
> > I'd like to add my two (euro)cents.
> > I have more or less implemented a full abc import/export of
> > ABC in MusiCAD based on 1.6 and beyond, trying to accommodate
> > as much extensions as possible (words/multivoice/etc).
> >
> > When implementing linebreaks the CR/LF, I took the approach of
> > ignoring CR/LF at all. MusiCAD determines clustering, barlines,
> > linebreaks pagebreaks and so on, so the information abc provides
> > in this respect was simply ignored without much consequenses.
>
> Which means anybody using ABC for Highland pipe music will dump the
> demo of your program in the trash/wastebasket/recycle-bin after they
> try the first tune.  All phrases go on one line.  No exceptions,
> soldier.
I think/hope that that'll be too pessimistic.
Just by setting (otpional) 4 bar/line I, think that most of the
tunes will be just fine.

> Ditto a lot of people typesetting songs and hymns - look at "Hymns
> Ancient and Modern", for example.  You hardly ever find a text line
> running over two staff lines.
And that's where ! would fit in perfectly.
No need to clutter up with \ just to get a CR/LF linebreak.

> BarFly makes ignoring linebreaks an option (except for multi-voice
> music where it isn't practical); what I do sometimes is first let
> the program have a go at doing the layout, then optimize the result
> by putting explicit linebreaks in better places myself.  BarFly's
> spacing algorithm is not very sophisticated (monospace type printed
> on elastic), but the same approach would be handy for any program.
As I see music engraving, you should care about linebreak/pagebreak
just before you start printing. You never know the paper size
beforehand do you?
So I implemented heaps of layout features just to enable me
to get as much notes on paper as I want. And yes, there will
be conflicting issues like readability and need to get as much
on a single sheet as possible.

Arent