From: "Jack Campin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 1:38 AM
Subject: [abcusers] linebreaks and paper sizes
> >> BarFly makes ignoring linebreaks an option (except for multi-voice
> >> music where it isn't practical); what I do sometimes is first let
> >> the program have a go at doing the layout, then optimize the result
> >> by putting explicit linebreaks in better places myself.  BarFly's
> >> spacing algorithm is not very sophisticated (monospace type printed
> >> on elastic), but the same approach would be handy for any program.
> > As I see music engraving, you should care about linebreak/pagebreak
> > just before you start printing.  You never know the paper size
> > beforehand do you?
>
> I do.  It's always A4, either portrait or landscape.

Which implies in fact two sizes; if it will fit on landscape it won't
fit an portrait (unless you use a square portion of it)...

Much of my users seem to like to have marching-band sized
paper (something like 15 x 10cm) landscape.

> For the tunes on my CD-ROMs, the GIF scores (generated by BarFly)
> are intended for practical use by folk instrumentalists who operate
> the way I see them working in Scotland: everybody (beginners to pro
> ceilidh bands) uses A4 folders with clear plastic pouches.  The music
> in them is usually portrait layout, be it printed, xeroxed or hand-
> written.  So I design for that use; my users will print the tunes
> themselves as needed and arrange them in whatever categories they want.
> (Epicycle: I try not to use the full height of A4, so American users
> can fit my stuff onto their "letter" size without rescaling; I presume
> they use the plastic pouches too).
>
> For the flute CD-ROM, I did every tune in both portrait and landscape;
> that stuff is significantly more complex than the "Embro, Embro" or
> Aird tunes, and often landscape layout works better.  Harder to use on
> a stand, but I was expecting people to use the scores for memorization
> rather than in performance.  In many cases (and increasingly as LCD
> screens become more prevalent) people will simply learn the tunes off
> the computer screen (maybe aided by sound files) and never print them.
>
> There are so many advantages to this format that hopefully I've just
> killed the printed-and-bound tune anthology.
>
> But what I really want is singing digital paper.
or even hornpiping papers (all of them slightly out of tune...)
Wouldn't that be great ;-)

Arent