Please don't think me rude, but I think you've missed a very large category of users
completely. These are people who record large collections of tunes (admittedly,
each tune is likely to be a 'simple folk melody' with or without lyrics),
often in the hundreds or thousands of tunes, related by genre or origin.
They will use abc instead of or in addition to tunebooks. These people collect tunes
and transcribe them, exchange them via email, publish them as a resource
on the internet or as a collection on CD-ROM and also want to print them as
dots or play them when required. They need software to proofread or proofhear
what they've entered, to index, to search, to compare tunes, etc. Sophisticated
typesetting is not likely to be a first-order requirement, certainly not at the
expense of readability.

Arent Storm wrote:

Having read the discussion about bang & co for quite a while
I' d like to add my two (euro)cents.
I have more or less implemented a full abc import/export of
ABC in MusiCAD based on 1.6 and beyond, trying to accommodate
as much extensions as possible (words/multivoice/etc).

When implementing linebreaks the CR/LF, I took the approach of
ignoring CR/LF at all. MusiCAD determines clustering, barlines, linebreaks
pagebreaks and so on, so the information abc provides in this respect
was simply ignored without much consequenses.
I guess the same will hold for other notation software using abc as second
language.

agreed

As far I can see there are two main visions within the abc-community

1)
People using ABC for sight reading, in fact not in need of any software
whatsoever.

replace 'sight reading' by 'exchange, archival and reference format' and rethink your statement

When you are using abc this way (where it has its roots) the need for ! as
forced line-break is obviously very low. I guess that a lot of other header
info will not be used either. Music thus written has to be as concise and
clear formatted as possible; linebreak equals CR/LF is a perfect solution
for that job.

other header info is remarkably important

All bells&whistles like multiple staves, fancy !trill! symbols
in-line words and so on will also disturb the ease of human reading
that was the power of abc.
A line continuation is more or less nessecary because the
paper (screen) that they're writing on is also limited.
For group1 the upcoming standard will be more or less ignorable...
as long as ABC2.0 compliant software will read/play/display
their abc's albeit with linebreaks at different places

2)
People who use abc mainly as a language to engrave music
(the majority?) might look at it differently.

Not the majority if you weight the users by the amount of published material,
I suspect.

As soon as abc is fed into software to
engrave it on paper, the layout *CANNOT* be assumed
to fit on paper (which size paper/screen should it fit on?)
Software will of course take care of linebreaks (and should
do the same for barlines...) When using abc this way a
forced-linebreak-device other than CR/LF is simply nessecary
and the layout should not be cluttered by CR/LF linebreaks.
Luckily notation software can easily be instructed to ignore
CR/LF and place linebreaks where nessecary for the job
based on layout instructions in the program itself or meta-comments
in the file itself like

%%FMT-BarsPerLine 4
%%FMT-LinesPerPage 11
%%FMT-TitleFont Roman 11 bold
(all instructions not meant for goup1) ;-)
Thus the original abc remains unbroken, and musically intact, be it that the beforementioned layout will be different than perhaps
intended by the author, which seems a minor issue.

agreed

I am afraid that you cannot have everything of both worlds
simple abc as in thge average reel or a multi-voice symphony
In fact the current standard tries to describe the layout of a tune using
CR/LF which is IMO undesirable; it should describe the music only
not the way it must fit on paper.

Arent