In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Bernard Hill writes:
>| My suggestion is that accidentals are in lower case, keys in upper.  And
>| if the key name is missing then C is assumed.
>|
>| K:A ^b is F# C# G# and Bb.
>| K:A =c is F# and G#
>| K:_b^f is Bb and F#
>|
>| K:_b is Bb
>| K:C _b
>| K:F
>|
>| and the last 3 are equivalent of course.
>
>No, the accidentals should be case sensitive.  I might not care about
>this, personally, but I've seen the explanations.  When the topic has
>come up in the past, several people have pointed out that  there  are
>musical  styles  that  use different accidentals in two octaves.  The
>examples I've seen are from southern Asia.

So how is it notated *as a key signature*? - because that's what we're
talking about. I am happy to have accidentals on individual notes but we
are talking ks here.

>I've seen this done in Middle-Eastern music too, with scales like:
>
>K:D=C_E_B^c
>
>where the C is different in the two octaves.
>
>We really shouldn't exclude these musical styles when it's so easy to
>include  them.   We've had inquiries on the list from people who play
>Persian and Indian classical music.  It would be interesting  to  see
>how well it works for them.

Again, what's the ks?

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland