John Chambers wrote:

>In Ryan's case, the p.37 examples do have a  double  bar  before  the
>repeat colon - at the end of the preceding staff.  This may have been
>the origin of that perverse :|!: example that we saw recently. If the
>! means "new staff", this would exactly match what Ryan did.

It's also what ABC2Win does.  I was astonished to find that now it
also works in BarFly when it's in its emulate ABC2Win mode.

>In any case, it's pretty clear that publishers' notation and people's
>interpretation  of repeats are both far from standardized.  No matter
>what we do or say, people will type the abc that looks like their own
>(mis)interpretation  of any supposed standard.  Printed music doesn't
>much work as a guideline, because it is so varied, and people can say
>"Look, these books do it that way, so it must be standard".
>
>People writing abc players have a problem ...

Not really.  Just treat any of :| |] [| || or |: as a start of repeat
when playing.  It just means that you can't use any of those symbols
within a repeated section.  The only one I would want to use is the
double bar, and I've never yet seen a piece of music which did that
(but thousands of tunes where the above rule works correctly).

Phil Taylor