John Chambers wrote:

>Bernard Hill writes:
>| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>| >No, the accidentals should be case sensitive.  I might not care about
>| >this, personally, but I've seen the explanations.  When the topic has
>| >come up in the past, several people have pointed out that  there  are
>| >musical  styles  that  use different accidentals in two octaves.  The
>| >examples I've seen are from southern Asia.
>|
>| So how is it notated *as a key signature*? - because that's what we're
>| talking about. I am happy to have accidentals on individual notes but we
>| are talking ks here.
>| >
>| >I've seen this done in Middle-Eastern music too, with scales like:
>| >
>| >K:D=C_E_B^c
>| >
>| >where the C is different in the two octaves.
>| >
>| >We really shouldn't exclude these musical styles when it's so easy to
>| >include  them.   We've had inquiries on the list from people who play
>| >Persian and Indian classical music.  It would be interesting  to  see
>| >how well it works for them.
>|
>| Again, what's the ks?
>
>Well, it's real hard to draw in ascii ...
>
>The K:D=C_E_B^c example has a  natural  on  the  C  line  (below  the
>staff),  flats  on  the E and B lines, and a sharp on the c line.  It
>might be better to put them in a different order; I just expressed it
>that way to make the scale clear.

There's a problem here.  In conventional notation, sharps and flats
in the key signature affect all octaves, unlike accidentals which
affect only the octave marked.  You are proposing to change that
rule, not just for abc but for standard notation too.

I think there's a case here for using global accidentals distributed
through the music in addition to unconventional key signatures to
resolve this.

>Which does remind me that, although there's a conventional order  for
>the  accidentals in classical key signatures, there really isn't such
>an order for others.  Some particular musical  styles  might  have  a
>conventional  order, but I don't know of them.  In recent music books
>that use non-classical key signatures, there are several orders used.
>I  think  they  position  them  so  that  they look good on the page,
>whatever that might mean to the editor.

The conclusion we came to the last time that this was discussed is that
programs should draw the symbols in the order in which they are given in
the abc.  That way the order is left up to the user.

Phil Taylor