Barry Say says:
| > Under what circumstances would you want a word or symbol in the lyrics
| > to align with a rest?
| >
| I have seen this in the case where words are spoken are shouted or
| indications such as (clap) (stamp). Sophisticates  may well use
| percussion notation rather than rests in the melody line, but I have
| seen both. It seems more flexible to allow this rather than forbid. I
| think the question is why should it be forbidden?

Yeah; I have a Finnish/Swedish tune in my collection where there is a
rest and you're supposed to shout "Hej!". I get it on the page now by
"abusing" the chord notation.  It would make more sense to use  a  w:
line, of course. But it would only work if the word could be attached
to a rest.  In this case, the only word in the tune is on a rest.

In general, it seems that rests should almost always  be  treated  as
notes.   The only way they're different is that a rest doesn't have a
pitch.

 <:#/> John Chambers
   +   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  / \  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>