On 4 Oct 2003, John Chambers wrote:

> I'd guess that this is fairly common. It's likely that some abc tools
> that handle w:  lines now do align syllables with rests,  but  nobody
> has ever noticed.
>
> If  this is true, then making this the official behavior would hardly
> break anything. And those songs would already be semi-broken, because
> there  hasn't  been an official standard for this and different tools
> probably do handle it differently right now.

I dont believe that ABC 2.0 represents a widely accepted standard
yet, rather I think that the list just got tired of the discussion

This is exactly the sort of situation for which I suggested an
extension to the I: field in my proposed extensions to ABC.
(www.nspipes.co.uk/barry/abc2proposal.html.)

I: _switch align lyrics to rests
or I:SWITCH align lyrics to rests
or I:SWITCH align_lyrics_to_rests

(The above three forms are alternatives)

The converse would be

I:SWITCH no_lyrics_on_rests

I would prefer to see the new standard allowing lyrics on rests (but
not barlines) and allowing the above switch for the rare occasions
when old files need to be interpreted.

I agree with the correspondent who would rather not introduce
gratuitous percussion notation.

Barry Say