>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, I. Oppenheim
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>In most cases, lyrics are NOT wanted on rests, but I have seen some
>>files which DO use lyrics on rests. There is obviously no indication as
>>to which is intended when reading a file. The abc standard (draft 2.0)
>>says nothing about lyrics on rests, but the need DOES occur in some
>>circumstances.
>>
>>Is it possible to state, and include in the standard, what should be done?
>
>I think it is valid. The reasoning is as follows:
>a) Symbols can be on notes, rests and bar lines

Bad Idea.  This breaks all existing programs which support aligned words,
and any existing files which include aligned words and rests.

If such a fundamental change from existing practice is to be contemplated
we will need some way of marking files to show that they are to be
interpreted in the new way.

This is an awful lot of trouble to achieve something which can be achieved
much more easily by restricting non-musical lyrics to percussion notation.

It is not manadatory for abc to support every strange construction which anyone
has ever used in staff notation.

Phil Taylor