In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Phil Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
a) Symbols can be on notes, rests and bar lines

Bad Idea. This breaks all existing programs which support aligned words, and any existing files which include aligned words and rests.

Forgive my ignorance, why is this a bad idea? Have I misunderstood the spec? I'm writing my parser/player/display program. I've already implemented the above and it was not hard to achieve (I can make the symbols attach to anything in the markup, pretty much).

If such a fundamental change from existing practice is to be contemplated
we will need some way of marking files to show that they are to be
interpreted in the new way.

I couldn't see (from reading 1.7.6 and 2.0) what the difference was, except that 2.0 provided me with more information to work with (i.e. 2.0 stated it was notes/rests/bar lines, where as I don't 1.7.6 stating that (implying it was everything).

It is not manadatory for abc to support every strange construction which anyone
has ever used in staff notation.

I don't mind, I'm not pushing an agenda. I'll implement what other people want. My understanding was notes/rests/bar lines. If I've misunderstood, please tell me and provide clarification as to what the standard is.

Regards

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett