>Rather than the typical home row of a
>keyboard, asdfghjkl, we could have something like abcd~:efg|, the row above
>the home row could be ABCD[]EFG...  or something like that.

        If you want to get fancy, you could set up a bunch of key mappings,
one for each key (you can name them G, ADor, DMix, etc.) so that the middle
row (asdfg) is "do re mi... " in whatever key you're in (e.g. in D,
asdfghjkl would map to DEFGABcde---well, the F and c are sharp, but that's
taken care of by the keysig in abc) with the upper (qwerty) row giving do re
mi in the second octave, the lower row the octave below.  This lays the
keyboard out like an organ. And, while you're at it, why not make it sound
the note as you type it? Then you can type by ear.

Cheers,

John Walsh