Jack Campin writes:
| > Meanwhile, for most tunes I can type abc nearly as fast  as
| > I can play it. It's seems unlikely that any clever keyboard
| > mapping could do much better.  Having the notes all on  the
| > left hand is probably much of this.
|
| I'd never thought about that.  For me that makes it more difficult -
| while I'm right-handed, I use the mouse left-handed, as many people
| do who started using mice before the IBM PC versions came along.
| My first was the bitpad on the ICL/Three Rivers Perq; all of us in
| the project had our bitpads on the left except for the left-hander,
| and nobody wanted to borrow his machine.  And the early publicity
| material for the Mac always showed the mouse being used left-handed.

It has always seemed to me that musicians should react  the
other  way.   After  all,  right-handers  who play stringed
instruments always seem to want to use their left hand  for
the fingerboard. And if you're a keyboard player, I'd think
you would of necessity be fairly ambidextrous.

I usually put a mouse on whichever side is most convenient.
I find that switching sides with the mouse doesn't take any
thought; I just do it.  This seems to  surprise  a  lot  of
people  when they notice it.  But I'd think that a keyboard
player would just react by asking "What sort  of  keyboards
do you play?"

| What would help for me would be mapping the numeric keypad (at the
| right) to note letters.  I never use the keypad otherwise, and it
| would free up my left hand to stay on the mouse.

That sounds like a good idea.  In fact, a clever abc editor
might have an option to keep track of the tonic from the K:
lines, and map 1-7 to notes in the obvious way. You'd use 0
for  a  rest.   Maybe you could use the + and - keys on the
keypad to do octave shifts.  Actually,  you  want  lengths,
too. So maybe you could use the shift key to select between
1-7 meaning notes and lengths.  Then,  with  the  left-hand
shift  key, you could enter notes and lengths entirely with
the right hand.  You'd still need to move your hand for bar
lines, I suppose.

It might be worth experimenting with.

 <:#/> John Chambers
   +   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>