> Meanwhile, for most tunes I can type abc nearly as fast  as
> I can play it. It's seems unlikely that any clever keyboard
> mapping could do much better.  Having the notes all on  the
> left hand is probably much of this.

I'd never thought about that.  For me that makes it more difficult -
while I'm right-handed, I use the mouse left-handed, as many people
do who started using mice before the IBM PC versions came along.
My first was the bitpad on the ICL/Three Rivers Perq; all of us in
the project had our bitpads on the left except for the left-hander,
and nobody wanted to borrow his machine.  And the early publicity
material for the Mac always showed the mouse being used left-handed.

What would help for me would be mapping the numeric keypad (at the
right) to note letters.  I never use the keypad otherwise, and it
would free up my left hand to stay on the mouse.