On 13 Feb 2006, at 15:13, Hudson Lacerda wrote:

> Remo D. escreveu:
> [...]
>> I'm considering getting away from representing accidentals and
>> microtones uniformely as bending the pitch. After the discussion on
>> assuming enharmonic equivalence, I felt I could destroy some valuable
>> information (ET, JI, Phyt?). Maybe its' better to return things as
>> they
>> are written in ABC and leave the application do whatever it wants
>> to do
>> with them!
> [...]
>> Yes, I simply wanted to give double the resolution with 32768
>> values for
>> two semitones, after all we are not restricted by the structure of
>> MIDI
>> messages here.
>
> Just for comparison, abcm2ps uses an unsigned short int to store the
> microtone fraction [(num-1) | (den-1)]. All kinds of accidentals
> (^^, ^,
> =, _, __) are classified separately. num and den must be positive
> numbers up to 256.  The resolution seems to be smaller than in
> MIDI, in
> a certain sense, but the set of values is "rational" instead of
> "mapped
> log" steps. One can have this way 65536 variants of ^, 65536
> variants of
> _ and so on.

For what it's worth, BarFly uses a single signed short to represent
pitchbend, with a resolution of 1/256 semitone, and it's mapped log
(if I understand that correctly).  I use this to set global
intonation, and don't yet support microtonal accidentals, although I
probably will in the future once a consensus appears.  1/256 semitone
is the basic resolution of Quicktime Music Architecture, which is
what I use for playing, and seems sufficient resolution to me, since
it's generally reckoned that one cent is the best resolution of the
human ear.

Phil Taylor

Yahoo! Groups Links