may I know how do you address them? I think is a mutual thing and if you start address them as "thu", they will also follow the same.

Umesha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mohit Shah Shah" <mohit.shah...@gmail.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Monday, 05 March, 2012 9:30 PM
Subject: [AI] Being addressed as 'aap'

Hello folks,

As usual, I have a really weird and unique question.
I have often observed that all my classmates, and even some of my
friends, address me as 'aap' instead of 'tu', which is how they
address each other.
I somehow feel that this has something to do with my visual impairment.
Perhaps, my classmates find it hard to be as open with me as they are
with others, so they try to talk to me in a respectful manner in order
to ensure that I don't get offended in any way.
And I've observed that this is more applicable in the case of my
female classmates.
So, what can I do to make them feel at ease and treat me in a normal manner?

Best,
Mohit