I wish I could get hold of my earlier mail signature. It said
something about admiration and so on… something like
“I rather be loved or hated than respected as it puts a burden on me to…”

A short real story,

I had a close friend who was extremely cultured as people say. You
know “aap” “aap” sought.
He would diligently call his class mates and even their parents to
wish them on their birthdays. He would never where denim clothes,
would do everything opposite that any youngster would like to do.
And everywhere he went he was perceived as a saintly respected guy.
And yah, he was probably never acting.
However, once the college got over and real test of friendship came,
he realised that his birthdays wishes became a routine for everyone.
Nobody perceived him as a real close friend but an ideal, and ideals
are always distant for common people.

Now the climax, I said I had a friend because we are unfortunately no
more on talking terms.
He would find my 10 odd years old manners as uncultured and
mannerless. He told me to changed my attitude. I never expected him to
change for me. So I told him to ---- off.

Your presence should bring smile and cheers on people’s face yar.
Respect lene dene ke liye bahut log hain.

SO I better be loved than respected. Present your self in a way that
others should feel awkward to address you as “aap.”

Cheers

On 3/5/12, Mohit Shah Shah <mohit.shah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> As usual, I have a really weird and unique question.
> I have often observed that all my classmates, and even some of my
> friends, address me as 'aap' instead of 'tu', which is how they
> address each other.
>  I somehow feel that this has something to do with my visual impairment.
> Perhaps, my classmates find it hard to be as open with me as they are
> with others, so they try to talk to me in a respectful manner in order
> to ensure that I don't get offended in any way.
> And I've observed that this is more applicable in the case of my
> female classmates.
> So, what can I do to make them feel at ease and treat me in a normal manner?
>
> Best,
> Mohit

“The waves breaking on the surface draw all the attention,
but it is the current beneath the water that determines your direction.”