Mike,

Michael StJohns <mstjo...@comcast.net> writes:

> On 2/8/2017 8:19 AM, Mohit Sethi wrote:
>> Hi Mike
>>
>> At least with our measurements on an 8-bit microprocessor platform,
>> 1024-bit RSA exponentiation was extremely slow. Please have a look
>> at Table 1:
>>
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-01
>
> I look at Table 1 the first thing I see is that you're using the wrong
> abbreviation for time - (ms is milli second), what you want is micro
> seconds or (us).   Or are you actually trying to claim that a 1024 bit
> operation takes 199 seconds?   Or all of 3+ minutes?     Or are you
> using an abacus and a monkey to do the math?

>From my personal experience working with tiny microcontrollers I would
guess that there is NOT a typo in those numbers and it really does take
3 minutes to compute an RSA operation.  I've had similar (although
somewhat better) results with ECC on similar platforms (166-bit ECC was
taking around 30s).  Note that this is computation in software.  A
hardware implementation would certainly be faster, but then you actually
need to implement the hardware.

> (And by the way - using "3" as the RSA exponent is just wrong).

It's done frequently in "lopsided" constrained environments in order to
limit the computation required by the more-constrained device.

> Table 1 doesn't actually indicate whether this is a signing operation
> or a verification operation, or whether or not the summary function
> (SHA1 or SHA256) is included.
>
> If Table 2 and table 3 have the same mistakes in time abbreviation
> (and I'm not sure why they wouldn't), you're saying that you can do an
> ECDSA function in 2-6 milliseconds.   Which more than meets the
> requirements.

I don't think it's a mistake.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com