Hi guys,

A bit late to the party (I'm technically on holidays this week), but...

"The best solution I have seen around the security question of new accounts
that haven't been used is to start with them disabled and then have the user
go to a kiosk machine which goes to a website where they have to identify
themselves with some key info from their application or "welcome" package
that is unique to them (hate to say it but like drivers license number or
social security number, etc) and then they go through some various screens
on the kiosk and at the end if they pass, their account gets activated and
set with a secure password that they specify. I actually have that listed on
a list of about 50 tools I want to build."

Joe's right on the money here, and we've actually got customers doing
exactly this.

The process goes something like this:

  * HR says user should be provisioned.  Day 1 of employment hasn't
    happened yet; we want to be ready for it up front, since some steps
    are manual and take time.  The point raised earlier in the thread
    about avoiding lost productivity is right on the money, especially
    in larger organizations, which have a tendency to move slowly.

  * Our new user is auto-provisioned to AD, Exchange, mainframe,
    Unix, etc.  All the new IDs are disabled.  The initial password is
    actually a long, random string, which is immediately discarded.

  * The user's profile is populated into a self-service password reset
    system, using some demographic data (SSN, DoB, etc. etc.).

  * On day 1, the user shows up, or doesn't.  If not, another HR-driven
    process triggers cleanup.

  * If the user did turn up, he can use his own (newly allocated and
    delivered) PC to access a kiosk-mode web browser from the GINA prompt.
    This is similar to Joe's idea, but a bunch of physical kiosks at
    each location are not required -- a domain-level "secure kiosk
    account," accessible from any workstation, is used for this purpose,
    and for assisting users who forgot their Windows password.

  * Our new user logs into the GINA with the SKA ID/password, which are
    well known.  This takes him to the only place he can really go -- a
    hardened web browser directed at the password reset app, which
    forces him to go through an enrollment process.  This updates his Q&A
    profile, so that we won't have to use the relatively weak demographic
    data again.

  * Our new user now gets to reset his own "forgotten" (actually random
    and discarded) password to a known value.  He can now login as himself.

Note that this process eliminates the need for default passwords, or
even for reasonable passwords that other people, such as the HR hiring
manager and system administrators, know.

It would be fairly simple to add steps to the process, such as getting
the user to read and accept the AUP and provide any ancillary data that
HR didn't pick up for some reason.

If and when you decide that's something you want to do and if you want some
help/sounding board to bounce that off of, please feel free to include me.
No need to ask again ;)  I would however try to guide such a solution to use
something other than personalized information.  Unique numbers are far
better and can be generated and communicated securely. There's no need for
localized personal information such as dl# or ssn.

I agree that (long) unique numbers are stronger than demographics,
but they have problems too: Providing unique numbers to pre-provisioned
users implies that something physical is delivered to the new users.
This is sometimes inconvenient, slow or even impossible in large, global
organizations.  Moreover, users may lose the physical note with the
number on it, and/or forget the number you gave them.  This triggers the
need for an out-of-band process, which will likely revert to
demographics.  :-)

I hope this helps!

--
Idan Shoham
Chief Technology Officer

Sign-up for M-Tech's winter training sessions:
  P-Synch: January 8--12, 2007   ||   ID-Synch: January 15--19, 2007
To register, please visit: http://mtechIT.com/education/

 privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
 email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
 recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
 omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.