Hi all!

When one visits http://www.perl.org/ one sees the following note on the left:

<<<<<<<
New to Perl?

Now as I've mentioned before there are several huge problems with
learn.perl.org:

1. It hasn't been maintained in several years now.

2. Its front page contains a list of books, most of which are not available
online and nothing else.

3. There aren't any links to online tutorials anywhere on the site.

4. There aren't any links to other important online resources (wikis, mailing
lists, etc. either.

5. The beginners-workers mailing list is closed for subscribers and has become
completely unresponsive.

--------

learn.perl.org is also linked from many other places. Now, for the past I've
been working on the Perl Beginners' Site ( http://perl-begin.berlios.de/ ).
This site suffers from none of the problems I mentioned, and also has:

1. A clean XHTML 1.1+CSS 2.1 design.

2. Based on Latemp - http://web-cpan.berlios.de/latemp/ .

3. Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License license. I can also
make it Public Domain, if the need arises.

4. Full source code is available online: http://perl-begin.berlios.de/source/.

5. It is still actively maintained (albeit recently I found little that I
needed to add there, because the site is already good enough.)

-------------

Because of the sub-optimal state of learn.perl.org, I'd like to propose that
I'll be given the ability to revamp it, using the material from perl-begin.
Then I can simply redirect perl-begin to learn.perl.org. But the current
situation is unacceptable.

If anyone can tell me where I can find the source code for learn.perl.org, or
give me a limited access to it, I'll greatly appreciate it. I have enough
free time for this and believe this is a worthy goal.

I should note that the perl.org admins, did not yet integrate a previous patch
I wrote to incorporate a http://www.perl.org/learn/ section instead. (Which I
think is a bad idea because it will break a lot of URLs). I don't blame them
because they had many hardware failures and other problems to deal with.
Since then the Subversion repository that contained the sources for
www.perl.org has gone offline, and I can no longer access it without a
password. So now my patch is out-of-date and I can no longer write a new one.

See:

http://www.mail-archive.com/advocacy%40perl.org/msg01816.html

For a previous discussion of it.

Regards,