Hi Philippe!

On Monday 16 April 2007, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
> Le lundi 16 avril 2007 à 10:05, brian d foy écrivait:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Shlomi Fish
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Can you give me static HTML hosting for http://perl-begin.berlios.de/
> > > on perl.org?
>
> A DNS entry with a VirtualHost should be enough, anyway. No need to be
> hosted anywhere else than on your own system.

I suppose.

However, the Berlios.de system tends to become offline at times, especially
during the weekends. And my http://www.shlomifish.org/ also has its share of
problems. If Ask can give me some web space (~20MB-100MB maybe less) and an
underprivileged account on a perl.org server, that would be the best
solution, IMHO. I need ssh and rsync over it.

> > > Moreover, I'd like it to gain a more official status:
> >
> > There's no such thing as an "official status". Perlmonks, for instance,
> > does just fine with its own domain. Why not get your own domain and
> > stop swimming against the current? Perl beginners don't care what your
> > domain name is.
>
> I guess for people outside the "core" Perl community it means something
> to be hosted on perl.org.
>
> I'm not sure that "core Perl community" means anything specific, but
> for me that would be people who that never go to the conferences, who do
> not know there is a Perl Monger group in their city, who do not know
> about the Perl Review, use.perl and a few other community things.
>
> And I'm pretty sure it's a large number of the Perl user base.

+1.

I fully agree with what you said here. Couldn't have said it better myself. I
hope brian understand it too.

> > Some mistakes you make pertinent to me:
>
> I haven't looked at Shlomi's web site, so I'm not saying his site should
> or should not get that perl.org suffix. I'm just trying to make the
> point that there are certainly a lot of people out there who think that
> being hosted on perl.org is official.
>
> And advocacy is specifically about reaching those people out there who
> aren't already part of the Perl community, isn't it?

Right.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]