Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Regarding success stories - yes, it's good that the Python site has them. And
> yes, it's bad that the prominent Perl sites do not have more testimonials.
> I've tried to remedy the situation by including a "Testimonials" page at:
>
> http://perl-begin.org/

It might be a good idea to get this on the Perl 5 wiki for starters
(http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi).  I don't think there's a
testimonial's page yet, but I'd love a "Perl Stories" (rather than Perl Success
Stories) area in the wiki.

> 1. How can we better solicit more Perl success stories?

Stop asking for "success" stories.  People react differently to this phrase, of
course, but for most people, a "success" story sounds really hard.  Just getting
the job done doesn't really sound like an interesting success.

Ask people for Perl stories, and leave the "success" word completely out of it.
 Start with "What does your organisation use Perl for?" there are much more
interesting answers to this question than you'd expect.  For example Animal
Logic ( http://www.animallogic.com/ ) in Australia who did parts of the Moulin
Rouge, Fellowship of the Ring and Matrix I or II; uses Perl for sequencing and
timing.  Qantas uses Perl for generating and processing boarding passes, Mold
Flow ( http://www.moldflow.com ) who have created software for optimising the
creation of plastic molds uses Perl to test that software.  Unfortunately I
speak with no real authority on these, because it's 2nd hand information, but
these interesting stories are out there, we just need to rephrase the question.

> 1.a) If you have a success story or a different testimonial - send it to me.

I'd rather "add it to the wiki".  Perhaps other businesses wouldn't prefer this,
but I'd like the chance to go back and copy-edit without having to pester the
site manager all the time.

> 2. What should we do, if we should do anything about the "NASA Uses Python"
> box in http://www.python.org/ ?

Cheer them on!  I think it's fantastic that the Python website is promoting
itself and Python.

All the best,

        Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |