Hi!

Thanks for your mail.

On Sunday 06 April 2008, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Regarding success stories - yes, it's good that the Python site has them.
> > And yes, it's bad that the prominent Perl sites do not have more
> > testimonials. I've tried to remedy the situation by including a
> > "Testimonials" page at:
> >
> > http://perl-begin.org/
>
> It might be a good idea to get this on the Perl 5 wiki for starters
> (http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi).  I don't think there's a
> testimonial's page yet, but I'd love a "Perl Stories" (rather than Perl
> Success Stories) area in the wiki.
>
> > 1. How can we better solicit more Perl success stories?
>
> Stop asking for "success" stories.  People react differently to this
> phrase, of course, but for most people, a "success" story sounds really
> hard.  Just getting the job done doesn't really sound like an interesting
> success.
>
> Ask people for Perl stories, and leave the "success" word completely out of
> it.

Sounds good.

> Start with "What does your organisation use Perl for?" there are much
> more interesting answers to this question than you'd expect.  For example
> Animal Logic ( http://www.animallogic.com/ ) in Australia who did parts of
> the Moulin Rouge, Fellowship of the Ring and Matrix I or II; uses Perl for
> sequencing and timing.  Qantas uses Perl for generating and processing
> boarding passes, Mold Flow ( http://www.moldflow.com ) who have created
> software for optimising the creation of plastic molds uses Perl to test
> that software.  Unfortunately I speak with no real authority on these,
> because it's 2nd hand information, but these interesting stories are out
> there, we just need to rephrase the question.

Thanks for the leads, I'll see what I can do. I also know a lot of the code
shipped in VMware's products (or at least VMware ESX) is written in perl5,
and you can view its source code there using less, and edit it. But I need a
good lead there to write a Perl story.

> > 1.a) If you have a success story or a different testimonial - send it to
> > me.
>
> I'd rather "add it to the wiki".  Perhaps other businesses wouldn't prefer
> this, but I'd like the chance to go back and copy-edit without having to
> pester the site manager all the time.

Which wiki? http://perl-begin.org/ has some pages on http://perl.net.au/
associated with it, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to put the success
stories there. In any case, the quotes from the stories themselves cannot be
on the wiki. I have some ideas for a nice JavaScript implementation of such
quoting.

> > 2. What should we do, if we should do anything about the "NASA Uses
> > Python" box in http://www.python.org/ ?
>
> Cheer them on!  I think it's fantastic that the Python website is promoting
> itself and Python.

I also think it's great that the Python website is promoting Python. I hope
the Perl sites can become as good. (Without saying "NASA Uses Perl" or "NASA
Uses Fortran on VAXen".).

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]