I looked at this stuff six ways from sunday, and if I had to do a sparse area that was self funded, I would do distributed tap architecture and try to use 12F drop cable as much as possible just like you are. I imagine you keep re-using the same 4 colors for the customer facing splitters, and use the other 8 colors to keep rolling down the road to the next splitter.

On 3/1/2019 11:48 AM, Chris Fabien wrote:
Chuck
Here is a quick sketch of the optical tap split we use. Each handhole uses a custom ratio FBT splitter to peel off a small bit of light from the mainline fiber, and then a normal PLC to break that up further to the required number of customers. If you are at all familiar with CATV this is essentially the same thing that coax taps do, just with light. The appropriate FBT ratio has to be picked at each handhole, and it steps up in % as you go down the line.

You can chain as many as 15-20 of these taps in a line using just one mainline strand, depending on split ratio, distance, and GPON optical budget. We run ZTE using class C++ OLT optics and run this system out to about 30km and still can split to cover about 20 houses over a mile of road.

We normally run rural mainline direct buried. When your mainlin cable is 18 cents a foot  35 cents for duct just blows the budget plus it adds another work step blowing or pulling the cable into the duct.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:11 AM <ch...@wbmfg.com <mailto:ch...@wbmfg.com>> wrote:

    Chris,
    I would love to have you post a schematic diagram of your low
    count PON system.
    Do you use duct or direct burial?
    *From:* Chris Fabien
    *Sent:* Friday, March 1, 2019 9:00 AM
    *To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Fiber - ROI
    We do fiber in 5-20 houses per mile areas. You have to get the
    cost down as much as possible. We plow most of our mainline direct
    buried, often use a 12-count tonable flat drop as mainline on side
    roads.  With the right GPON splitting topology you can feed
    several hundred houses on a 12-count fiber. If the area is rural
    enough to not have a lot of paved driveways you can cover a lot of
    ground fast plowing.    Cheap electronics like ZTE or UBNT.
    Everythign fusion spliced because splicing labor is cheaper for us
    than the fancy connectorized systems.
    Permitting cost will vary by area, our costs are $500 for the
    first mile and $50 per additional mile, one time fee.
    On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Matt Hoppes