The industrial components that are mentioned below, the other version is usually called consumer... Guess what Ubiquiti buys?

On 5/14/19 3:19 PM, Colin Stanners wrote:
The MikroTik CRS212-1G-10S had a design flaw where the SFPs were pressed right against each other, and there was no cooling fan. As a result, in warmer temperatures I've seen a full load of SFPs get up to 80+ degrees celsius, too hot to handle by hand, and causing packet loss. Other than that I don't recall seeing SFP issues caused by overheating.

We had a customer who asked that the installers put their GPON ONU in an unheated basement for some reason. Even though Ubiquiti rates their CPEs as functioning down to -10 C, the customer saw it losing connectivity on the coldest days (-30 outside) when the nearby thermostat was still +5 C. They fixed it by putting a heater nearby.

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 5:03 PM <ch...@wbmfg.com <mailto:ch...@wbmfg.com> wrote:

    I have had more problems with low temp than high over the past 40
    years.
    *From:* Trey Scarborough
    *Sent:* Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:41 PM
    *To:* af@af.afmug.com
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Mikrotik Fiber SFP+

    with SFPs the temp ratings have a double meaning. The ones rated
    industrial actually have better components in them so they tend to
    have a better chance of survival in any situation. I wouldn't
    necessarily worry about the low end as much as the high end. Its not
    that hard for a switch in an enclosed boxto get very hot if not
    vented. especially with a few sfp ports in it.