Only AP

On 11/21/2019 1:04 PM, Kurt Fankhauser wrote:
one thing i have always wondered is do the SM's actually look for RADAR or only the AP's?

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 12:55 PM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com <mailto:af...@kwisp.com>> wrote:

    Yes, that’s true, but a higher gain antenna at the SM end helps
    rcv but not xmt.  And SMàAP is the direction you may actually need
    a better signal because the AP likely has a sector antenna and is
    mounted higher so it sees more interference.

    It would not be unusual to have a 16 dBi antenna at the AP but a
    25 dBi antenna at the SM. The antenna gain would help the rcv
    signal at the SM, but it would probably have to lower its
    conducted power by 9 dB to stay within the regulatory EIRP limit.

    In contrast, in U-NII-3 the CPE end is treated as point-to-point
    and can use antenna gain to exceed the AP limit of 36 dBm EIRP
    (subject to OOBE limits).

    *From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com
    <mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com>> *On Behalf Of *Adam Moffett
    *Sent:* Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:27 AM
    *To:* af@af.afmug.com <mailto:af@af.afmug.com>
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] dumb DFS questions

    There might be something I don't understand, but I thought you had
    flat EIRP limit of +30dbm whether it's an SM or an AP.

    On 11/21/2019 12:11 PM, castarritt . wrote:

        6 dBm loss for the AP transmit isn't the end of the world.
        It's the up to 23 dBm loss on the SM transmit power that
        destroys the usefulness of DFS for PTMP past a couple miles.
        The ~16 dBi gain 90° sectors 2-300' up in the air just can't
        hear those SMs over all the noise they are picking up.  What
        we need is the ability to run downlink on DFS and uplink on
        5.2 or 5.8.

        On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:56 AM Adam Moffett