+1 google

On 11/13/20 10:22 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

Maintenance windows are a concept from “the before times” (B.C., before Covid)

Yes I know, carriers still have them.  But I try to do firmware updates and stuff at 3am and it’s amazing how much traffic there still is.  Hard to tell how much of it is important vs live streaming TV left on or game downloads. But there’s no time you can do maintenance anymore without pissing people off.

I’m starting to figure if I’m going to piss people off no matter what, why try to do hardware upgrades at tower sites in the dark, might as well do it in the middle of the day and keep it as short as possible.  I’m trying to work around the kids doing remote classes, so I avoid M-F 8am-3pm. It’s back to long ago when any time outside “business hours” was a maintenance window because residential users were just checking email and downloading porn anyway.

And I fear as people adopt streaming bundles that include live TV, we will see the norm becomes streaming 24x7 because they left the TV on.  I already had one customer on our lowest speed tier (5x1) whose download usage has gone to 1.1 TB per month since May, turns out that’s when they cancelled their DirecTV.  To use that much data on such a low speed, you pretty much have to be streaming 24x7.  Turns out she has tinnitus and can’t sleep without the TV on, and during the day her husband watches movies.  I suggested if she’s not even watching the TV, why not stream music, but l think she can only sleep if Fox News is on.  Personally, cable news would keep me up at night, in fact I don’t watch it for that very reason.  It’s all talking heads telling me to be angry and afraid.  How does that help you sleep?  But I remember an episode of Becker where he couldn’t sleep because his old TV was on the fritz, and he’s too cheap to buy a new one, and goes to the TV megastore trying to buy a replacement tube.

*From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *Lewis Bergman
*Sent:* Friday, November 13, 2020 9:35 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Multiple carriers

Something always breaks. I am not sure what carriers you are referring to when you say switches shouldn't break. if it has current flowing through it, it will break. Even if they are replacing something they believe will prevent impending doom, chances are there will be some service impact as they do their PM. Which is why everyone has maintenance windows.

I am sure it is possible to build a complete network with zero points of failure. I am also pretty sure nobody wants to pay for it.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 9:23 AM Seth Mattinen <se...@rollernet.us <mailto:se...@rollernet.us>> wrote:

    On 11/13/20 7:09 AM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
    > Switches should not be crashing in a carrier environment.

    Then why consider multiple carriers? Just single home to one and be
    done. No worrying about the complexities of multiple providers if
    nothing ever breaks in a carrier environment.

Lewis Bergman

325-439-0533 Cell