Again we're talking about manufacturers not paying attention to it.  It's pretty standard for a home router to have a default set of firewall rules /in addition/ to NAT.  The fact that they didn't bother to have a default set of IPv6 rules isn't a flaw in the protocol itself.

On 12/15/2021 11:09 AM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
Exactly why we NAT on IPv4 for all residential connections.  The end user is not capable of protecting their home network properly.  Nothing gets in unless it's explicitly requested.

I know NAT is not a firewall in and of itself, but the simple process of using NAT at the end user CPE stops a ton of trouble from devices getting compromised.

If we were to implement IPv6 to the end users we would throw up a "block all inbound traffic", so what did we really accomplish? IPv6 is flawed in so many ways.

On 12/14/21 1:30 PM, dmmoff...@gmail.com wrote:
Yes the firewall thing is a /glaring/ hole especially since you’re giving out public IP space to everything.

I wonder how many internet enabled refrigerators and ovens have log4j libraries.

*From:*Jesse DuPont <jesse.dup...@celeritycorp.net>
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 14, 2021 11:49 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>; dmmoff...@gmail.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] IPv6 in home routers

I have done (somewhat) comprehensive testing of consumer routers and IPv6. You're right, Cambium/ReadyNet's implementation is either not functional or buggy (like, sometimes fails to announce itself as a gateway to the LAN). Mikrotik is great, but does take a few steps. Calix's support for IPv6 is solid and reliable. Netgear and Asus also have good IPv6 support, but it must be enabled. If doing DHCP, just enabling it with Auto Config is sufficient most of the time. If PPPoE, need to specify it's PPPoE and then to use the same session as IPv4. Linksys also generally has working IPv6 support, although the older stuff (3+ years) is a little spotty.

When I say working IPv6 support, I mean that they request a prefix via DHCP-PD, install that prefix on the LAN side and start announcing it to the LAN for SLAAC addressing. Most of them except Mikrotik seem to also require a global address via SLAAC on their WAN ports. So in my implementation, I have a SLAAC prefix on the subscriber router network from my equipment, and DHCP-PD running and the routers assign themselves a global address from the SLAAC prefix on their WAN ports and the DHCP-PD prefix on their LAN side. I guess they use the WAN address for things like DNS queries (for themselves and when they're doing DNS proxy). Mikrotik will use any global address for things like DNS queries, even an address on it's LAN side.

I'll also say that seems the IPv6 firewall is not enabled on about half of what I tested. Maybe it's better now, but even Mikrotik today doesn't have a standard set of consumer-router IPv6 firewall rules, at least not in RouterOS v6 or earlier. Maybe they do in v7.

*Jesse DuPont*

Owner / Network Architect
email: jesse.dup...@celeritycorp.net <mailto:jesse.dup...@celeritycorp.net>
Celerity Networks LLC / Celerity Broadband LLC
Like us! facebook.com/celeritynetworksllc

Like us! facebook.com/celeritybroadband