From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Chuck McCown via AF
Sent: Monday, May 2, 2022 2:25 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Cc: Chuck McCown <ch...@go-mtc.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] -48vdc site

+ goes to +

- goes to -

Always.

Giving something -48 means you have grounded the + side of the power supply.

Giving something + 48 means you have grounded the - side of the power supply.

Giving something 48 might mean neither side is grounded and it is a floating
power supply.

Some devices use chassis ground in common with the power input.  If a device
grounds the negative side of the power input internally, then it will need a
positive or floating supply.

If a device grounds the + side of the power circuit internally then it needs a
negative or floating supply.  Lots of telecom gear is in this category.

If you take a device and measure each side of the power input to ground, and
find continuity from + or - to the chassis, you need to match that to the
polarity.

If you measure it and find no connection to the chassis, there is a chance it
does not care.  However powered off continuity measurements could change with
power on.  If you have it powered on on the bench and measure from the chassis
to either side of the power input, and get a strong reading matching the input
voltage on one of the leads, the the input of the device is definitely using
the chassis as a ground.  The ground can be positive or negative, whatever the
designer decided it was.

But you can still run -48 devices off of floating 48.  And  you can run them
off of +48 under certain circumstances.
1)  You have to insulate the chassis from ground.  Best to put a warning sign
on it that the chassis is hot.
2)    It cannot have any external connections that contain a chassis
connection like a coax with the shield connected to the chassis.  A CAT5 cable
drain wire would also short it out.  As would most POE configurations.
If it is a router, in a plastic box, without POE connections,  you might get
away with it.