If you need it to go through trees, you will probably be disappointed. It will certainly penetrate better than anything in 5 GHz, but it won't be as good as 2.4 GHz, and it will be a lot worse than 900 MHz. That's just physics.

But the noise floor will be a lot better than either 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz, and that may mean some salvation, simply because of the resulting effect on SNR.

bp

On 9/21/2014 11:21 AM, CBB - Jay Fuller via Af wrote:

Surely ppl using 3.65 are going through trees ?

----- Reply message -----
From: "Ken Hohhof via Af" <af@afmug.com>
To: <af@afmug.com>
Subject: [AFMUG] 3.65 pmp450 results - was Dear Cambium
Date: Sun, Sep 21, 2014 12:14 PM

We did a bare SM the other day 0.6 miles –58 and 8X in a 10 MHz channel, that tells me we can go a lot farther without a dish, probably 1.5 miles or more. Or are you talking about through trees? I have not been impressed with performance through trees, even with a dish. But I’m not happy with –80 and 4X, I don’t want to eat up all the capacity on such an expensive piece of gear with just a few subs. And I don’t want customers calling every time the leaves get wet or covered with snow. At some point I think we’ll see something similar to the Force100 but for now it’s a dish or a connectorized SM with a panel. When I asked about a Stinger/CLIP type of product, I was told the size at 2.4 or 3.65 GHz get too big or else the gain isn’t worth it.