Half useful.  And that half is the less useful half.

I like the guys to kill the power and see the whole thing work a couple of
times a year.  They are always reticent to do so.  “Something might not work!”

From: Mike Hammett via Af
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:50 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Generator question

How useful is a test run without load?

http://www.ics-il.com

From: "Chuck McCown via Af" <af@afmug.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 8:48:34 AM

Yeahbut, your tests are generally once a week for 15 minutes, without load.
You might burn a gallon of fuel.  If you have a 1500 gallon tank, that is a lot
of weeks (28 years...) worth of test runs.  Even a 500 gallon tank would last
almost 10 years on test runs along.  Yes, they come along and top it off a
couple of times a year but that does not do much to dilute the bad fuel with
new.

There are microbes that eat diesel.  Not sure if the additives kill them
completely or not.
It must work because lots of large telecom sites have diesel tanks.  I have
always been LP or NG if I could get it.