We’re on a tower with a Verizon shelter that has a diesel generator all inside 
the shelter including the tank.  I’ve run into an outside contractor at the 
site that said they were changing or cleaning the filters or something, I 
thought they meant air filters in the HVAC system.  But maybe they were also 
doing what you said.

Other than VZ, every other celltower I’m aware of in our area has propane 
tanks.  Propane is so widely used it’s easy to get delivered.  A lot easier 
than getting pizza delivered.


From: Mark Radabaugh via Af 
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 10:54 AM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Generator question

The big guys take care of the diesel tanks by either running their own 
filtration/conditioning system or having a contractor come out every couple of 
months and process the fuel through a polishing system.    Not cheap but 
necessary with diesel standby systems.

Mark


On 10/27/14, 9:48 AM, Chuck McCown via Af wrote:

  Yeahbut, your tests are generally once a week for 15 minutes, without load.  
You might burn a gallon of fuel.  If you have a 1500 gallon tank, that is a lot 
of weeks (28 years...) worth of test runs.  Even a 500 gallon tank would last 
almost 10 years on test runs along.  Yes, they come along and top it off a 
couple of times a year but that does not do much to dilute the bad fuel with 
new.  

  There are microbes that eat diesel.  Not sure if the additives kill them 
completely or not.  
  It must work because lots of large telecom sites have diesel tanks.  I have 
always been LP or NG if I could get it.  

  From: Mike Hammett via Af 
  Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:36 AM
  To: [email protected] 
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Generator question

  I believe they make treatments to reduce the "staleness" of stored diesel. 
You'll also be burning some during your regularly scheduled load tests as well, 
right?  *nudge*  ;-)




  -----
  Mike Hammett
  Intelligent Computing Solutions
  http://www.ics-il.com





------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: "Chuck McCown via Af" mailto:[email protected]
  To: [email protected]
  Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 8:28:57 AM
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Generator question

  I dislike diesel due to the inevitable mess and the fact it goes stale, has 
  cold weather issues etc.
  If the disaster is bad enough to shut off the NG pipes, I think I don't want 
  to be at work.

  -----Original Message----- 
  From: Rex-List Account via Af
  Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 5:32 PM
  To: [email protected]
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Generator question

  Just to throw another curve into your thinking - what is your reasoning on 
  the generator? Disaster recovery? Frequent power outages due to storms and 
  such?
  As a thirty plus year vet at a phone company and a twenty five plus year vet 
  on the fire department let me give you this to ponder. If it is for frequent 
  power outages
  due to electrical storms, ice, and/or poor power lines then NG is fine. 
  However it has been my experience that in disaster scenarios like 
  earthquakes (ok I haven't actually
  seen this one) severe storms/tornadoes (I have seen way too many of these) 
  then one of the first things the fire department does is shut down the 
  natural gas pipelines.
  Too many houses destroyed and the possibilities of way too many leaks. I 
  personally would go with diesel fuel. Almost always available - can be 
  easily trucked in. LP can be
  hard to source and price fluctuates in the winter. There is always a farmer 
  or construction company around with diesel. NG is defiantly more convenient, 
  but in a true disaster
  situation it may not be available. Just my two cents worth.

  Rex

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of George Skorup (Cyber 
  Broadcasting) via Af
  Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:17 PM
  To: Animal Farm
  Subject: [AFMUG] Generator question

  So I have a unique situation at our office. We're looking at a Generac 
  QuietSource 22 or 30kW running on NG. I'm not dead set on that, but those 
  are very nice and quiet 1800RPM. And the problem is, our building is really 
  old and is split in half with two separate 240 services coming in. And I do 
  have an old empty 1-1/4" conduit between the two utility closets. The two 
  services is actually nice because a lot of times, one side will have power 
  when the other doesn't. One comes from the north, the other from the south.

  There's no way we can rewire and combine everything into one service feed. 
  I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to do something like two auto-transfer 
  switches on one generator. I have critical stuff to run on both sides. 
  Probably need a qualified electrician or engineer, but I thought I'd ask 
  here for suggestions before we go down that road and pay someone to come up 
  with something that I most likely wouldn't like.






-- 
Mark Radabaugh 
Amplex

[email protected]  419.837.5015 x 1021

Reply via email to