So the going paperless is way easier than you think.

Buy a signature pad like a Topaz Sig Lite (usb) send with installer.
Your contract is probably already in PDF form.  Create Information
boxes and add a signature field.  This can be done with Acrobat reader
I think.  They save on the computer have installer download or e-mail
them in at the end of the day.  The installer can even e-mail a copy
to the customer right there while they are still onsite.  (two things
good about that.  You know you have the right e-mail address and the
installer knows that the internet is working).

If the customer wants a signed copy they can have one e-mailed to them
at the end of the day after the installer gets back to the office.

No matter what you do an in-vehicle printer will be problematic
forever they were not designed for that environment.  (cheaper in the
long run to go paperless sooner than later)...

Sincerely,

Jason Pond