I remember an AT&T U-Verse installer finishing the job and then wanting me to sign a 7 page agreement on his iPad. He stood there killing time for 154 minutes while I read the agreement. Apparently they count on people not reading what they sign. Also it seems like the time to get it signed was BEFORE he did the work.

So my recommendation is to either keep your agreement to 1 page, or provide a copy to the customer ahead of time, or to read while the installer is working (this also gives the customer something to do other than nitpicking your install work). It's a waste of time to have your installer stand there while the customer reads a long agreement.

-----Original Message----- From: Jason Pond via Af
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:15 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Field Paperwork

So the going paperless is way easier than you think.

Buy a signature pad like a Topaz Sig Lite (usb) send with installer.
Your contract is probably already in PDF form.  Create Information
boxes and add a signature field.  This can be done with Acrobat reader
I think.  They save on the computer have installer download or e-mail
them in at the end of the day.  The installer can even e-mail a copy
to the customer right there while they are still onsite.  (two things
good about that.  You know you have the right e-mail address and the
installer knows that the internet is working).

If the customer wants a signed copy they can have one e-mailed to them
at the end of the day after the installer gets back to the office.

No matter what you do an in-vehicle printer will be problematic
forever they were not designed for that environment.  (cheaper in the
long run to go paperless sooner than later)...

Sincerely,

Jason Pond