Wouldn't the simple answer be to offer the device and SD card as separate items? Then on your site you say, "If you want to have storage with the same industrial temperature range as the rest of my product line then buy this card, or supply your own at your own risk."

Everybody selling fiber to the radio with an SFP slot does it that way. I always buy their SFP module.


On 5/18/2015 10:09 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
What is the lowest temperature that each of you would normally expect to see in your enclosures?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm in the process of developing up a few new products.

To date, all of the packetflux products are designed with components rated -40 to +85C (I.E way cold to way hot). I'd like to retain this rating, but I'm running into a minor snag:

For storage, I'm planning on integrating a SD card (probably microSD) in a socket. I only need a GB or so, and SD card memory is inexpensive at that range.

Unfortunately, all the reasonably priced SD cards are only rated down to about -25C or -13F. which are about ~$3 in qty. "Industrial temperature range" ones which are good down to -40C/F are available but they add at least $30 to the cost for non-name brand, and even more for known brands. When you're talking about a $100 end-user price, a $30 1GB SD card seems excessive - and probably isn't even possible if I want to meet the $100 price with some margin.

So, I'm currently playing the 'what options do I have' game. I hate to ship a product only rated down to -25C/-13F, but I know for at least a large chunk of my customer base they never see below this temperature, especially when you add a watt of power dissipation in the case with the device. Which leads me back to my original question: What's the lowest temperature most people would expect to see inside their enclosures.

--
*Forrest Christian* /CEO//, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc./
Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> | http://www.packetflux.com <http://www.packetflux.com/> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian> <http://facebook.com/packetflux> <http://twitter.com/@packetflux>



Reply via email to