Maybe, but is it wrong to ask for some uniformity across the two platforms? They could take the Canopy DiffServ table and apply it to ePMP to get the same functionality.

On 6/7/2015 10:11 AM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
BTW, the latest firmware for GXP 2160 is 1.0.4.23 (did a google search), and 
the admin manual shows two settings for L3 QOS (one for SIP and one for RTP)

EPMP QOS allows you to modify the default settings to over-ride to your taste.

If I understand your 'complaint' you are dealing with f**ed up GrandStream 
Phones, and you want Cambium to Change the Default handling of VOIP QoS to 
match your needs ?

Now that does not make any logical sense...

The default setup for QoS Voip on EPMP is perfectly fine for all of the other 
devices which follow the industry standard of  VOIP/Video packet marking.

Unless there is something that I am totally missing, I think you are taking out 
your frustrations with GrandStream on Cambium !

:)


Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:06:27 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

The 1.0.4.17 firmware for the GXP phones (we have mostly 2160s and some
30s and 40s) cannot be downgraded since it contains a security fix. I
have a couple phones that are now fk'n stuck on that because of it.
We're running an internal engineering build on some phones with fixes
for their screwed up SIP message handling and corrupt outgoing messages.
Some phones we have not upgraded from 1.0.3.9 because it mostly works.
None of those firmwares allows separate SIP and RTP QOS. We're doing
testing and validation of 1.0.4.23 with our switch vendor currently,
which does do the split QoS. About half of the bug fixes listed in the
.21/.23 release notes were ours. Just have to wait and see what other
shit is broken now.

But besides all that, I have other phones and ATAs (both Grandstream and
not) that refuse to send SIP with anything other than DSCP12, even when
it's configurable. I don't really care if SIP is sent with AF and RTP as
EF, that's perfectly acceptable. RTP should be higher priority than SIP
anyway. Standard DiffServ config supports this just fine. So as far as
the network is concerned, I have to support AF and EF, and I'm fine with
that. All I was saying is that Cambium should do this out of the box on
ePMP if you turn on VoIP priority. This is what happens on Canopy when
you turn on HP on an SM, both DSCP12 and 46 end up in the HP channel.

On 6/7/2015 1:11 AM, Josh Reynolds wrote:
I don't know what grandstream devices you are looking at, but 21xx series
and the other Linux and android based phones don't have that issue.
Neither does the asterisk based UCMs, such as the 6104. Screenshots
attached.

On Jun 6, 2015 8:17 PM, George Skorup <[email protected]> wrote:
I disagree. This is exactly what Canopy does. DSCP12/AF is sent over the
HP channel. Look at the default DiffServ table and see for yourself.
Many managed switches are set up exactly the same way, except they have
more queues, and Canopy only has MIR and HP. Well, there's LP CIR, but
lets not get into that. ePMP just has "priority" which I assume means
priority over everything else.

I need a way to correct stupid manufacturer's mistakes (Grandstream
being the worst offender). Lots of their devices ALWAYS send SIP packets
as DSCP12 and this CANNOT be changed. Or the other one I mentioned, the
GXP phones have one DSCP setting and this changes both SIP and RTP. I'm
disgusted with their stupidity, but unfortunately it has to be supported
because those devices aren't going away.

It's totally doable and Cambium could add it by default, saving me time
configuring every radio with it. Or just make DiffServ on ePMP
work/configure like Canopy.

I don't care what's wrong or right. I care about shit working right now
and customers not being pissy.

So the burden falls on the network as usual. It's always our fault.
Sometimes I just don't know how I haven't murdered people. If I drank,
it would probably happen. And I'm finding myself agreeing with that one
guy Steve every other day now. Stupidity has no limit.

On 6/6/2015 10:31 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured Forwarding) in addition to
DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
configuration.
That would be a mistake and the wrong thing to do.

We're finding more devices sending SIP packets as AF and
RTP as EF.
When a device is mis-configured, why should the burden of dealing with
that mis-configurtion as a default fall on another device

There is plenty of flexibility to override the wrong setup of a device,
if that is they way you want to correct it in your radios...
(Which by all standards would be the wrong way to fix it...but more power
to you).

Two wrongs don't make a right..


Regards.


Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected]

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:27:05 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured Forwarding) in addition to
DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
configuration. We're finding more devices sending SIP packets as AF and
RTP as EF. AF isn't prioritized and out-of-band signaling (prompts, etc)
are sent as SIP messages so sometimes these are getting dropped, not to
mention registrations, invites, etc. And more devices are stupid (mostly
Grandstream), they only let you set ONE priority value for the entire
device. These are coming default as DSCP12/AF. I've tried to get
everyone to change this to 46, but they don't remember.

Or just apply the whole Canopy DiffServ table. We've never had to change
any of those code points. Turn HP on, it just works.



Reply via email to