For this use case (QoS on VoIP):

Cambium Canopy works
Cambium ePMP does not work

Seems that simple to me.


Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Faisal Imtiaz <[email protected]>
wrote:

> BTW, the latest firmware for GXP 2160 is 1.0.4.23 (did a google search),
> and the admin manual shows two settings for L3 QOS (one for SIP and one for
> RTP)
>
> EPMP QOS allows you to modify the default settings to over-ride to your
> taste.
>
> If I understand your 'complaint' you are dealing with f**ed up GrandStream
> Phones, and you want Cambium to Change the Default handling of VOIP QoS to
> match your needs ?
>
> Now that does not make any logical sense...
>
> The default setup for QoS Voip on EPMP is perfectly fine for all of the
> other devices which follow the industry standard of  VOIP/Video packet
> marking.
>
> Unless there is something that I am totally missing, I think you are
> taking out your frustrations with GrandStream on Cambium !
>
> :)
>
>
> Faisal Imtiaz
> Snappy Internet & Telecom
> 7266 SW 48 Street
> Miami, FL 33155
> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
>
> Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected]
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
> > To: [email protected]
> > Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:06:27 AM
> > Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
> >
> > The 1.0.4.17 firmware for the GXP phones (we have mostly 2160s and some
> > 30s and 40s) cannot be downgraded since it contains a security fix. I
> > have a couple phones that are now fk'n stuck on that because of it.
> > We're running an internal engineering build on some phones with fixes
> > for their screwed up SIP message handling and corrupt outgoing messages.
> > Some phones we have not upgraded from 1.0.3.9 because it mostly works.
> > None of those firmwares allows separate SIP and RTP QOS. We're doing
> > testing and validation of 1.0.4.23 with our switch vendor currently,
> > which does do the split QoS. About half of the bug fixes listed in the
> > .21/.23 release notes were ours. Just have to wait and see what other
> > shit is broken now.
> >
> > But besides all that, I have other phones and ATAs (both Grandstream and
> > not) that refuse to send SIP with anything other than DSCP12, even when
> > it's configurable. I don't really care if SIP is sent with AF and RTP as
> > EF, that's perfectly acceptable. RTP should be higher priority than SIP
> > anyway. Standard DiffServ config supports this just fine. So as far as
> > the network is concerned, I have to support AF and EF, and I'm fine with
> > that. All I was saying is that Cambium should do this out of the box on
> > ePMP if you turn on VoIP priority. This is what happens on Canopy when
> > you turn on HP on an SM, both DSCP12 and 46 end up in the HP channel.
> >
> > On 6/7/2015 1:11 AM, Josh Reynolds wrote:
> > > I don't know what grandstream devices you are looking at, but 21xx
> series
> > > and the other Linux and android based phones don't have that issue.
> > > Neither does the asterisk based UCMs, such as the 6104. Screenshots
> > > attached.
> > >
> > > On Jun 6, 2015 8:17 PM, George Skorup <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >> I disagree. This is exactly what Canopy does. DSCP12/AF is sent over
> the
> > >> HP channel. Look at the default DiffServ table and see for yourself.
> > >> Many managed switches are set up exactly the same way, except they
> have
> > >> more queues, and Canopy only has MIR and HP. Well, there's LP CIR, but
> > >> lets not get into that. ePMP just has "priority" which I assume means
> > >> priority over everything else.
> > >>
> > >> I need a way to correct stupid manufacturer's mistakes (Grandstream
> > >> being the worst offender). Lots of their devices ALWAYS send SIP
> packets
> > >> as DSCP12 and this CANNOT be changed. Or the other one I mentioned,
> the
> > >> GXP phones have one DSCP setting and this changes both SIP and RTP.
> I'm
> > >> disgusted with their stupidity, but unfortunately it has to be
> supported
> > >> because those devices aren't going away.
> > >>
> > >> It's totally doable and Cambium could add it by default, saving me
> time
> > >> configuring every radio with it. Or just make DiffServ on ePMP
> > >> work/configure like Canopy.
> > >>
> > >> I don't care what's wrong or right. I care about shit working right
> now
> > >> and customers not being pissy.
> > >>
> > >> So the burden falls on the network as usual. It's always our fault.
> > >> Sometimes I just don't know how I haven't murdered people. If I drank,
> > >> it would probably happen. And I'm finding myself agreeing with that
> one
> > >> guy Steve every other day now. Stupidity has no limit.
> > >>
> > >> On 6/6/2015 10:31 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
> > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured Forwarding) in
> addition to
> > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
> > >>>> configuration.
> > >>> That would be a mistake and the wrong thing to do.
> > >>>
> > >>>> We're finding more devices sending SIP packets as AF and
> > >>>> RTP as EF.
> > >>> When a device is mis-configured, why should the burden of dealing
> with
> > >>> that mis-configurtion as a default fall on another device
> > >>>
> > >>> There is plenty of flexibility to override the wrong setup of a
> device,
> > >>> if that is they way you want to correct it in your radios...
> > >>> (Which by all standards would be the wrong way to fix it...but more
> power
> > >>> to you).
> > >>>
> > >>> Two wrongs don't make a right..
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> Regards.
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> Faisal Imtiaz
> > >>> Snappy Internet & Telecom
> > >>> 7266 SW 48 Street
> > >>> Miami, FL 33155
> > >>> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232
> > >>>
> > >>> Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email:
> [email protected]
> > >>>
> > >>> ----- Original Message -----
> > >>>> From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]>
> > >>>> To: [email protected]
> > >>>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:27:05 PM
> > >>>> Subject: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured Forwarding) in
> addition to
> > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
> > >>>> configuration. We're finding more devices sending SIP packets as AF
> and
> > >>>> RTP as EF. AF isn't prioritized and out-of-band signaling (prompts,
> etc)
> > >>>> are sent as SIP messages so sometimes these are getting dropped,
> not to
> > >>>> mention registrations, invites, etc. And more devices are stupid
> (mostly
> > >>>> Grandstream), they only let you set ONE priority value for the
> entire
> > >>>> device. These are coming default as DSCP12/AF. I've tried to get
> > >>>> everyone to change this to 46, but they don't remember.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Or just apply the whole Canopy DiffServ table. We've never had to
> change
> > >>>> any of those code points. Turn HP on, it just works.
> > >>>>
> >
> >
>

Reply via email to