Right. As I said, I've never had to change any of the DiffServ code points on any Canopy radio. Trying to get the guys to remember to add a bunch of rules in a radio probably won't happen. It's easier for me to tell them to just turn on HP. Maybe I'm a nazi when it comes to the network, but.. don't touch the network and I won't have to kill you.

Anyway.. the new Grandstream firmware, how awesome is this.. the SIP QoS default is DSCP 26, which is LP on Canopy. Knowing that, I DO NOT want the guys touching the DiffServ code points in the radios. It's easier to configure the phones with SIP DSCP 12 and RTP DSCP 46. To accommodate the stupid/broken devices, I already have other rules on the network that prioritizes SIP as 12 and RTP as 46. I like standards. OK, my standards.

On 6/7/2015 12:59 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
Works on Canopy, though.


Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Mike Hammett <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Having only half listened to the thread, it sounds like broken
    Grandstream VoIP is broke on ePMP.



    -----
    Mike Hammett
    Intelligent Computing Solutions
    http://www.ics-il.com

    
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

    Midwest Internet Exchange
    http://www.midwest-ix.com

    
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *From: *"Josh Luthman" <[email protected]
    <mailto:[email protected]>>
    *To: *[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    *Sent: *Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:54:29 PM

    *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS

    For this use case (QoS on VoIP):

    Cambium Canopy works
    Cambium ePMP does not work

    Seems that simple to me.


    Josh Luthman
    Office: 937-552-2340 <tel:937-552-2340>
    Direct: 937-552-2343 <tel:937-552-2343>
    1100 Wayne St
    Suite 1337
    Troy, OH 45373

    On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Faisal Imtiaz
    <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

        BTW, the latest firmware for GXP 2160 is 1.0.4.23 (did a
        google search), and the admin manual shows two settings for L3
        QOS (one for SIP and one for RTP)

        EPMP QOS allows you to modify the default settings to
        over-ride to your taste.

        If I understand your 'complaint' you are dealing with f**ed up
        GrandStream Phones, and you want Cambium to Change the Default
        handling of VOIP QoS to match your needs ?

        Now that does not make any logical sense...

        The default setup for QoS Voip on EPMP is perfectly fine for
        all of the other devices which follow the industry standard of
        VOIP/Video packet marking.

        Unless there is something that I am totally missing, I think
        you are taking out your frustrations with GrandStream on Cambium !

        :)


        Faisal Imtiaz
        Snappy Internet & Telecom
        7266 SW 48 Street
        Miami, FL 33155
        Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232 <tel:305%20663%205518%20x%20232>

        Help-desk: (305)663-5518 <tel:%28305%29663-5518> Option 2 or
        Email: [email protected]

        ----- Original Message -----
        > From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>>
        > To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
        > Sent: Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:06:27 AM
        > Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
        >
        > The 1.0.4.17 firmware for the GXP phones (we have mostly
        2160s and some
        > 30s and 40s) cannot be downgraded since it contains a
        security fix. I
        > have a couple phones that are now fk'n stuck on that because
        of it.
        > We're running an internal engineering build on some phones
        with fixes
        > for their screwed up SIP message handling and corrupt
        outgoing messages.
        > Some phones we have not upgraded from 1.0.3.9 because it
        mostly works.
        > None of those firmwares allows separate SIP and RTP QOS.
        We're doing
        > testing and validation of 1.0.4.23 with our switch vendor
        currently,
        > which does do the split QoS. About half of the bug fixes
        listed in the
        > .21/.23 release notes were ours. Just have to wait and see
        what other
        > shit is broken now.
        >
        > But besides all that, I have other phones and ATAs (both
        Grandstream and
        > not) that refuse to send SIP with anything other than
        DSCP12, even when
        > it's configurable. I don't really care if SIP is sent with
        AF and RTP as
        > EF, that's perfectly acceptable. RTP should be higher
        priority than SIP
        > anyway. Standard DiffServ config supports this just fine. So
        as far as
        > the network is concerned, I have to support AF and EF, and
        I'm fine with
        > that. All I was saying is that Cambium should do this out of
        the box on
        > ePMP if you turn on VoIP priority. This is what happens on
        Canopy when
        > you turn on HP on an SM, both DSCP12 and 46 end up in the HP
        channel.
        >
        > On 6/7/2015 1:11 AM, Josh Reynolds wrote:
        > > I don't know what grandstream devices you are looking at,
        but 21xx series
        > > and the other Linux and android based phones don't have
        that issue.
        > > Neither does the asterisk based UCMs, such as the 6104.
        Screenshots
        > > attached.
        > >
        > > On Jun 6, 2015 8:17 PM, George Skorup <[email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
        > >> I disagree. This is exactly what Canopy does. DSCP12/AF
        is sent over the
        > >> HP channel. Look at the default DiffServ table and see
        for yourself.
        > >> Many managed switches are set up exactly the same way,
        except they have
        > >> more queues, and Canopy only has MIR and HP. Well,
        there's LP CIR, but
        > >> lets not get into that. ePMP just has "priority" which I
        assume means
        > >> priority over everything else.
        > >>
        > >> I need a way to correct stupid manufacturer's mistakes
        (Grandstream
        > >> being the worst offender). Lots of their devices ALWAYS
        send SIP packets
        > >> as DSCP12 and this CANNOT be changed. Or the other one I
        mentioned, the
        > >> GXP phones have one DSCP setting and this changes both
        SIP and RTP. I'm
        > >> disgusted with their stupidity, but unfortunately it has
        to be supported
        > >> because those devices aren't going away.
        > >>
        > >> It's totally doable and Cambium could add it by default,
        saving me time
        > >> configuring every radio with it. Or just make DiffServ on
        ePMP
        > >> work/configure like Canopy.
        > >>
        > >> I don't care what's wrong or right. I care about shit
        working right now
        > >> and customers not being pissy.
        > >>
        > >> So the burden falls on the network as usual. It's always
        our fault.
        > >> Sometimes I just don't know how I haven't murdered
        people. If I drank,
        > >> it would probably happen. And I'm finding myself agreeing
        with that one
        > >> guy Steve every other day now. Stupidity has no limit.
        > >>
        > >> On 6/6/2015 10:31 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
        > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured
        Forwarding) in addition to
        > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
        > >>>> configuration.
        > >>> That would be a mistake and the wrong thing to do.
        > >>>
        > >>>> We're finding more devices sending SIP packets as AF and
        > >>>> RTP as EF.
        > >>> When a device is mis-configured, why should the burden
        of dealing with
        > >>> that mis-configurtion as a default fall on another device
        > >>>
        > >>> There is plenty of flexibility to override the wrong
        setup of a device,
        > >>> if that is they way you want to correct it in your radios...
        > >>> (Which by all standards would be the wrong way to fix
        it...but more power
        > >>> to you).
        > >>>
        > >>> Two wrongs don't make a right..
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Regards.
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Faisal Imtiaz
        > >>> Snappy Internet & Telecom
        > >>> 7266 SW 48 Street
        > >>> Miami, FL 33155
        > >>> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232 <tel:305%20663%205518%20x%20232>
        > >>>
        > >>> Help-desk: (305)663-5518 <tel:%28305%29663-5518> Option
        2 or Email: [email protected]
        > >>>
        > >>> ----- Original Message -----
        > >>>> From: "George Skorup" <[email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>>
        > >>>> To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
        > >>>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:27:05 PM
        > >>>> Subject: [AFMUG] ePMP VoIP QoS
        > >>>>
        > >>>> Yo Cambium, you need to add DSCP 12 (Assured
        Forwarding) in addition to
        > >>>> DSCP 46 (Expedited Forwarding) to the default VoIP priority
        > >>>> configuration. We're finding more devices sending SIP
        packets as AF and
        > >>>> RTP as EF. AF isn't prioritized and out-of-band
        signaling (prompts, etc)
        > >>>> are sent as SIP messages so sometimes these are getting
        dropped, not to
        > >>>> mention registrations, invites, etc. And more devices
        are stupid (mostly
        > >>>> Grandstream), they only let you set ONE priority value
        for the entire
        > >>>> device. These are coming default as DSCP12/AF. I've
        tried to get
        > >>>> everyone to change this to 46, but they don't remember.
        > >>>>
        > >>>> Or just apply the whole Canopy DiffServ table. We've
        never had to change
        > >>>> any of those code points. Turn HP on, it just works.
        > >>>>
        >
        >





Reply via email to