From: "Paul McCall" <pa...@pdmnet.net>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:59:38 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Epmp user throughput

I posed about our similar frustrations a while back… here’s an update.

I would suspect something in the router’s queuing methods as well. Just a big
important FYI, for those of you using Mikrotik routers and NAT for customers,
if you want customers to always be able to achieve full speeds, use 6.29 or
above an enable FastRack. We had a very difficult time, only with some
customers getting full speeds. 2 computers could get each get 2.8 Mbit at the
exact same time, but no individual PC could get more than 3Mbit. Not all users
had this and the weak response “from the crowd” was the wireless link (even
some good links from AP to SM) was causing a little extra queuing at the
hardware level, resulting in performance behind the router to be less than
optimal. Yeah, I know is not a completely scientific description that we can
all latch onto, but it appears to have validity.

Here are the FW rules for that version that magically fixed the few customers
that we have tried it on.
/ip firewall filter
add chain=forward action=fasttrack-connection
connection-state=established,related
add chain=forward action=accept connection-state=established,related
add chain=forward action=drop connection-state=invalid

As the name says, it Fast tracks most of the firewall (processing of queues and
other rules) which may not work for all your situations, such as a heavy user
that absolutely needs VoIP optimization because they are slamming their
connection. (not the norm)

Paul