Yes, I agree.
The big reason for looking at GPON in my case is saving fibers out to the
country and not needing remote hardware in the middle.  If I can use 2
strands to feed a subdivision that is 2 miles away, instead of using
24/48/or 96 strands,  I can more than double/triple the fiber footprint
for the same cost and not have costly switches/optics in remote
enclosures.  If I was only running to MDUs active would be great.  The
whole reason I started looking at GPON was that guys here on the lists
have said the GPON hardware is no more costly than the active equipment.
If that's true GPON would save a ton on the fiber plant side of things.