Ah, but you're putting the DIN on a panel inside an enclosure I assume.
With a lot of rackmount items, you can rotate the angle brackets 90 degrees to panel mount them. OR you get one of those 4U patch panel racks that mounts on a wall and screw that to your panel.

What I'm saying is, as long as the depth and/or height of the rack mount item is limited to common enclosure depths, then you can still panel mount it. I don't know about you, but I go for at least 8" depth.