I just want to drill down, for the sake of an in-depth conversation, not just
for you but for others who are lurking as well...

see my answers inline below:-

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

There is no difference, or anything lost, in this arena, between an 'Active
Solution' vs a "designed/yourself passive" solution.

> modular in nature if possible.

There is no "Canned solution" that can beat the a 'designed passive solution'
in this area.

>  Thinking active as the "endpoints" (routers and/or switches) we do not want
> to utilize colored optics nor can we support it in some situations ...
> so MUX for sure.

I think you are mis-understand how this actually works/gets implemented...
All CWDM/DWDM solutions have a passive fiber Mux/Demux in the box, the only
difference is what you see (out side the box) as optic options.

e.g.  each side just looks like this......  (passive mux/demux)---> {(Colored
optics <--> SMF Optics)in a managed Media Converter}
    (One can use a managed modular media converter or a managed switch for
this).

> While we operate a WISP, this is part of our core network in one city between
> two data centers so we want high quality

There is nothing 'lost' or 'gained' in this area, only the perception of what
is under the hood.

> with a lower than we're used to price tag :)  We would start with 40x10G
> likely and see how it goes

Be prepaid for some serious pain to the wallet for lots of marketing BS to
justify that from those selling canned solutions.
Also pay attention to the Cost and power range of the required optics, (do you
power budget calcs due to insertion loss)

My suggestion would be as follows:-
For a moment, forget about which solution you are going to buy, take a bit of
time to 'engineer' a passive solution, and just pencil in the figures, for all
the components...

Use this as a baseline to value the solution you are actually looking to buy,
or negotiate for...

(when I do such an exercise, 40c DWDM mux/demux units are running less than $2k
each, low insertion loss units(3-4.5db), 100mhz channels,  Colored optics (15db
margin) are under $300 each. You can add 10g SFP+/SFP+ media converter for each
side ($900each) or you can add your favorite brand of 10g 48 port switches to
each side ...(running anything between $1000 to $1500 on the 2ndary markets).

This would help in establish the value proposition and make you comfortable
with what you end up going with.