We have been using new and old DWDM gear from Adva Optical Networking on a
span from Tremonton to St. George (~400 miles) in Utah with lots of
add/drops along the way and several ROADMs.  We're upgrading to their newer
stuff (100G waves), but a lot of the older stuff (40x 10G) we have in place
has been running for 5+ years without any reboot or problems.  They are
very cost-competitive but also a rock-solid platform.  They get my
recommendation for an active system.

Roger