In a vacuum, TR-069 is pretty nice, as doing mass changes via SNMP really sucks in a lot of cases. It seems to be pretty common in my experience that setting values via SNMP is rare.
Much rarer than get, but still useful when you need it. So personally I've used SNMP to push out mass password changes and to rewrite the channel plan on Wimax CPE.

It's also rare you can make significant changes via SNMP in a single call, you generally have to modify piecemeal, which TR-069 does help you solve.

That being said, TR-069 is a PITA and expensive, as you've experienced. Not being able to monitor via SNMP is also a pain - I get not pushing config changes via SNMP, but not being able to pull monitoring stats does make things really difficult, as I would be willing to be 99% of monitoring systems out there don't support monitoring via TR-069..
Undoubtedly true. Even if they did....as far as I know the CPE can only have one ACS specified in them. So whatever option you pick, you only get that one. With SNMP I could use one tool for collecting performance data over time (cacti or whatever), a perl script for pushing out some changes, and maybe something like a solar winds toolkit to get some realtime performance data during a support call.