Hey Simon, a Sonar related question:

Breezeview's backend database is MySQL (If I recall correctly). If they start grabbing performance data with TR-69, could the Sonar Poller query the Breezeview database to get important stats into it's own database? I'm not sure if there's a "MySQL" query type already supported.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Simon Westlake" <simon@sonar.software>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 2/1/2017 12:02:35 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] SNMP Monitoring Programs

I don't know what the thought process is among big vendors, but I would imagine smaller LTE manufacturers don't make their own CPE, and so they are stuck with what's been dictated from on high (although that is partly speculation on my part, I don't know for 100%.)

In a vacuum, TR-069 is pretty nice, as doing mass changes via SNMP really sucks in a lot of cases. It seems to be pretty common in my experience that setting values via SNMP is rare. It's also rare you can make significant changes via SNMP in a single call, you generally have to modify piecemeal, which TR-069 does help you solve.

That being said, TR-069 is a PITA and expensive, as you've experienced. Not being able to monitor via SNMP is also a pain - I get not pushing config changes via SNMP, but not being able to pull monitoring stats does make things really difficult, as I would be willing to be 99% of monitoring systems out there don't support monitoring via TR-069..