Iceland put 8 or 9 bankers in jail for that exact situation.

It's not clear to me why the bailout here happened the way it did. It seems like if the banks failed due to lending money that had no chance of being paid back, why did the bailout require more money than the value of all the loans? I'm not well informed on the topic, but the things I heard never added up to a clear picture.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Sean Heskett" <af...@zirkel.us>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 8/26/2017 2:31:13 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT Volkswagen engineer

And yet somehow all the bankers who engineered the collapse of the world economy never went to jail but this guy does?!?!

Crazy world...

Engineer environmental destruction = bad

Engineer economic destruction = meh

I agree with chuck too, he designed an engine to pass a test. Seems like the test was flawed, not the solution. It was an engineering team from a university that discovered the problem because they actually tested the emissions from the tail pipe under real world driving conditions.

-sean