P25 Phase-I uses the IMBE vocoder. Yeah, that kinda sounds like shit. Phase-II uses the AMBE+2 vocoder, but then you have the TDMA split into two time slots, i.e. half the bandwidth. Still better than IMBE. DMR/TRBO is also 2-slot TDMA using AMBE+2. I use it and don't think it sounds that bad at all. Add encryption overhead and it sounds worse, regardless of the vocoder used. Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth.