Do you back up off site? When was the last time you tested your backup?
What if the billing software company went out of business? Etc.

My point is, nothing is promised in this world but physics.

Words, paper contracts, intent, etc... None of that really matters. Some
sort of legally binding agreement doesn't matter if the company can no
longer operate, if the banks close down, if there is a major natural
disaster, etc.