Never do your own mail if you don't already do it. Maybe everyone here
doing it has found some magic solution but I doubt it. As discussed n this
thread, the users get in the way no matter what your efforts.
I am cynical, but I doubt anyone here is charging enough to make up for
even the support costs much less the per user fees if not doing it
themselves. Having said that, I guess you can go tell your users to sod off
but I doubt many here do that. I could have had 1/5 th the number of
support people had I not had email. What a pile of steaming poo email is to
support. My guess would be that you would have to have upwards of 50k paid
mailboxes to start to get ahead on the expenses. I am not even sure stupid
users would even let that work.
I probably tried to provide a higher quality service than anyone should for
email. Email users, by their own actions, not their words, demand an
extremely low level of support. Charge enough for the support they demand
and they'll go elsewhere. They want gmail prices (free) but have someone to
call and bug the crap out of when they are to stupid or lazy to configure
their client no matter what it is installed on. I think maybe you just have
a call flow that says "if you have email trouble push 1, If you ..." When
they press one, refer them to a web site, tell them the settings, curse at
them and hang up. If they call back and press 2 or something the tech
immediately forwards them to the message they would hear if pressing one
without saying a word.
I am glad those of you who still do it have figured it out or don't know
enough about accounting or cost assignment to know how much money you are
losing on it.