From: "Lewis Bergman" <lewis.berg...@gmail.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:42:12 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Email Server

Never do your own mail if you don't already do it. Maybe everyone here doing it
has found some magic solution but I doubt it. As discussed n this thread, the
users get in the way no matter what your efforts.
I am cynical, but I doubt anyone here is charging enough to make up for even
the support costs much less the per user fees if not doing it themselves.
Having said that, I guess you can go tell your users to sod off but I doubt
many here do that. I could have had 1/5 th the number of support people had I
not had email. What a pile of steaming poo email is to support. My guess would
be that you would have to have upwards of 50k paid mailboxes to start to get
ahead on the expenses. I am not even sure stupid users would even let that
work.
I probably tried to provide a higher quality service than anyone should for
email. Email users, by their own actions, not their words, demand an extremely
low level of support. Charge enough for the support they demand and they'll go
elsewhere. They want gmail prices (free) but have someone to call and bug the
crap out of when they are to stupid or lazy to configure their client no matter
what it is installed on. I think maybe you just have a call flow that says "if
you have email trouble push 1, If you ..." When they press one, refer them to a
web site, tell them the settings, curse at them and hang up. If they call back
and press 2 or something the tech immediately forwards them to the message they
would hear if pressing one without saying a word.
I am glad those of you who still do it have figured it out or don't know enough
about accounting or cost assignment to know how much money you are losing on
it.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:28 PM Steve Jones < thatoneguyst...@gmail.com >