It would add more cost to a price sensitive product and require our techs to
carry more equipment.

Rory

-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Nate Burke
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:48 AM
To: Animal Farm
Subject: [AFMUG] A Stupid coax question

Comcast has been deploying their WIFI hotspot network like mad in the Chicago
metro.  Every public park, gas station, strip mall, hotel, and train station
seems to have a wifi AP hung outside of it now.  These units just hang on their
aerial coax cable, and get their power and data just off a single RG-6 coax run
off the nearest splitter.  Drawing the power off the DC Coax plant.  Here's a
picture of a typical installation.
http://comcastsupport.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/22608i79AFB9E182CD549C?v=1.0

So this got me thinking again, as I have for several years, why are we still
using POE to run PMP Equipment on towers.  It seems from a installation, RF
Shielding, and grounding/suppression perspective, using coax would be the far
better choice.  Anyone can be taught to terminate a perfect RG6 in <5 minutes.
No Colors to remember. Any couplers are inherently waterproof.  No loose plugs
or broken clips.  Cheap cheap cheap outdoor cable.  Shielded cables by default.
 It just seems that there are a lot of benefits for the low power draw radios.
Obviously a licensed link can't pull enough power over an RG6, but EPMP or 450
or UBNT PMP radios I would think could run just fine.  Instead of having to
deal with switching equipment or breakout boxes at the top of a tower, just run
up a larger coax to a splitter.  No outdoor enclosure needed.

Is it simply a lack of products that would make development costs too much, or
is there another technical aspect I'm missing.  Docsis version
3.1 Full Duplex, which is currently in development will do 10gb sync, Docsis
3.1 is 10gb/1gb.  More than enough for any of our AP Clusters for at least a
few years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Comparison
It seems like UBNT or Cambium (heck Motorola already had all the coax products
built) could easily make a 10gb Fiber to Coax adapter for the tower base. Feed
it with Fiber and DC, then just keep adding splitters and radios until you run
out of power budget.

It just seems like I've never heard it discussed, and I'm not sure why.
Obviously there is something I'm missing.  Docsis is a standard, but maybe
there's no standard for the power delivery on the coax?  So vendor Inter-op
prohibits development dollars from being spent on it.

Nate